Avoiding Home Fire Hazards in Every Room

By: | Tags: | Comments: 0 | November 14th, 2016

home-engulfed-in-flames

We always hear devastating news about homes catching on fire, but we never think it will happen to us. Last year 365,500 U.S. homes caught fire. Unless you follow the proper prevention methods, your home could become part of the statistic as well.

Keep your home safe by avoiding fire hazards in each room.

 

Kitchen

The kitchen is the most likely room to catch fire in your home. If you’re not cautious, the probability becomes even greater.

To avoid a fire, don’t leave cooking food unattended. How often have you left something to boil and returned to a boiled-over pot, or left something to cook in the oven after the timer has gone off? If you’re distracted by something in another room, you could return to a fire in your kitchen.

Other measures you can take are inspecting the cords of all appliances, keeping flammable items away from your stove, and not putting metal (like silverware and tin foil) in the microwave.

 

Laundry

An overworked dryer can become a fire hazard. Do the following to avoid issues:

  • Avoid overloading it
  • Clean the lint filter after each use
  • Make sure the exhaust vent pipe is uncovered
  • Examine the power cord for damage

Taking these steps and following all manufacturer’s instructions can help you avoid any issues.

 

Living Room

Living rooms are notorious for having many electrical appliances: TVs, stereo systems, surround sound speakers, VCRs, DVD players, etc. You may not realize it, but all of these appliances are potential fire hazards.

Outlets can get overloaded and start to spark. Just one frayed cord can start a fire. It’s a good idea to spread out your electrical appliances to different outlets and make sure they are firmly plugged in.

During cold weather, fire threats—from lighted Christmas trees to fireplaces to space heaters—increase. Cut down your chances of a fire by avoiding lighting a fire, using space heaters, or putting lights on your tree.

If you must use these amenities, take precautions by using a fireplace screen, not leaving space heaters unattended (and keeping them uncovered), and turning off your Christmas lights when you are away or go to bed.

 

Bedroom

Major culprits for bedroom fires are electronic devices left charging on beds and unattended candles. Avoid charging devices overnight and leave them on surfaces that will keep them from overheating. Candles should be used sparingly, never left unattended, and kept away from flammable items like curtains and blankets.

 

Storage Areas

There are many different storage areas in a home:

  • Attic
  • Basement
  • Crawl space
  • Garage

These areas are even more susceptible to fire if items are stored improperly. From electrical sparks to flammable items, the conditions are perfect for a fire. Avoid the threat by storing gas and other flammable items in tight metal containers away from the furnace or heater.

 

Bathroom

Whether you enjoy soaking in the tub with lighted candles or you use scented candles to freshen the smell of the room, candles a major fire risk in the bathroom. Just as in the bedroom, you should always use the proper prevention methods. Also be sure to keep water away from any appliances that are in use.

 

All Areas

Smoking is a high-risk danger to any area of the home—from improper butt disposal to accidently dropping a lit cigarette to leaving matches or lighters within a child’s reach. Keep matches up high and follow proper ashtray use and disposal to avoid problems.

 

No matter how prepared you are, accidents can still happen. Be ready by arming yourself with the right fire alerts and deterrents. Contact Mike Green Fire Protection to help you figure out what your home needs. We have everything from smoke detectors to sprinkler systems to fire extinguishers and more. Don’t let your home become part of the statistics.

Leave a Reply